Sunday, October 8, 2017

Toxic shellfish - again

Once again, the collection of shellfish from a coastal area of New Zealand is subject to a warning from the Ministry for Primary Industries.  This time the affected area is most of the Taranaki coastline.

Tests on shellfish show that levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins are above the safe limit of 0.8 mg/kg set by MPI. Unfortunately, the toxins are not destroyed by cooking, so the only advice is not to collect and eat the shellfish.

I have written about PSP before, so, rather than reiterate the warnings and background, here is the link to the earlier post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are welcome, as are questions and suggestions for further articles. Comments are moderated to reduce the incidence of spam. If your comment includes a link to a commercial site, it will normally be rejected.