Saturday, July 27, 2013

Raw milk linked with food poisoning in New Zealand

I have written several times about the hazards of drinking raw milk (see the label "raw milk").  Using Ministry of Health information obtained under the Official Information Act, Talia Shadwell has written about food poisoning linked with consumption of raw milk in the Manawatu and Waikato, two regions of New Zealand.

A total of nine people, including two young children, were hospitalised in March, suffering from Escherichia coli  infection.  A month later, six people contracted campylobacteriosis.  A common factor in all these cases was apparently consumption of raw milk.

What is of great concern to me is that these patients revealed that they had little knowledge of the hazards of drinking raw milk, despite the publicity given to such outbreaks.

I would uphold the right of individuals to consume raw foods if they so wish, but they should be fully aware of the risks and remember that their children do not really have the luxury of food choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are welcome, as are questions and suggestions for further articles. Comments are moderated to reduce the incidence of spam. If your comment includes a link to a commercial site, it will normally be rejected.